Crowns are used to save or restore a damaged tooth, and are similar to a cap that is placed over the tooth. This allows patients to be able to use their tooth again, and looks aesthetically pleasing. Crowns help to make damaged teeth stronger, are durable, and give patients that beautiful smile they have always wanted. Crowns are cemented on to the damaged tooth, and are one of the most common procedures done in our office.
Crowns may be recommended for the following:
- After a root canal treatment.
- To help restore a broken, stained, discolored, or misshapen tooth.
- A patient has a damaged or cracked tooth that is in need of repair.
Crowns last on average anywhere between 5 to 15 years, and this depends on the wear and tear of the crown. The more wear and tear on the crown can lead to replacement. With good oral hygiene habits, crowns are known to last anywhere between 25-30 years.
Tips to help your crown last:
- Avoid biting down on hard objects or foods.
- Avoid grinding or clenching your teeth while you sleep. Mouthguards can help, and may be recommended if a patient suffers from bruxism.
- Attend your regular dental appointments to make sure your crown remains healthy.
Any chips or cracks in a crown must be addressed immediately. Please contact our office if you notice any issues with your crown, and we can help.
If you are interested in finding out more about our crown procedures, contact Austin 3D Dental to schedule your appointment.